Homeless Policy

Rights of Homeless Students

The school district shall provide an educational environment that treat all students with dignity and respect. Every homeless student shall have equal access to the same free and appropriate educational opportunitites as students who are not homeless. This commitiment to the educational rights of homeless children, youth and youth not living with a parent or guardian, applies to all services, programs, and activities provided or made available.

A student is considered “homeless” if he or she is presently living:

  • In a shelter
  • Sharing housing with relatives or others due to lack of housing
  • In a motel/hotel, camping ground, or similar situtation due to lack of alternative, adequeste housing
  • At a train or bus station, park, or in a car
  • In an abandoned building
  • Temporarily housed while awaiting foster care placement

    All Homeless Students Have Rights To:

    Immediate school enrollment. A school must immediately enroll students even if they lack health, immunization or school records, proof of guardianship, or proof of residency.

    Enroll in:

  • The school he/she attended when permanently housed (school of origin)
  • The school in which he/she was last enrolled (school of origin)
  • Any school that non-homeless students living in the same attendance area in which the homeless child or youth is actually living are eligible to attend.

    Remain enrolled in his/her selected school for as long as he/she remains homeless or, if the student becomes permanently housed, until the end of the academic year. Participate in a tutorial-instructional support program, school-related activities, and/or receive other support services. Obtain information regarding how to get fee waivers, low-cost or free medical referrals. Transportation services: A homeless student attending his/her school of origin has a right to transportation to go to and from the school of origin as long as (s) he is homeless or, if the stduent becomes permanently housed, until the end of the academic year.

    Dispute resolution: If you disagree with school officals about enrollment, transportation or fair treatment of a homeless child or youth, contact the school district. The school district must repond and attempt to resolve it quickly. During the dispute, the student must be immediately enrolled in the school and provided transportation until the matter is resolved. Contact Mr. Topp, the homeless liasion at 520-399-2121, if you have questions about enrollment in school or further details of rights for homeless students. You can also contact Frank Migali, the State Coordinator for Homeless Education at 602-542-4963 or frank.migali@azed.gov.